Here are just a few reasons to donate food to Feeding America West Michigan.
- Your neighbors need your help. In West Michigan and the Upper Peninsula, food insecurity affects 1 in 8 people. Find out how many are food insecure in your county.
- It actually pays to give food away. Donating food saves you disposal costs, but it also entitles you to serious tax deductions. Feeding America West Michigan provides receipts you can use to deduct the cost of your donation plus up to half of your normal mark-up.
- Feeding people feeds our economy. Think about it. Hunger makes children and adults tired, sick and less productive. So children fail in school. Adults can’t do their jobs well. Productivity suffers. Health care and welfare costs soar—all for the lack of a little good food.
- Reduce your environmental impact. By donating surplus food rather than sending it to the landfill, you eliminate the methane emissions produced by rotting food. And that makes your brand more appealing to consumers.
- Feel the love. Food donors say that supporting the Food Bank is great for their image in the communities they serve. Click here to see a list of our largest food donors. As you can see, you’ll be in very good company.
- Food donors are “Good Samaritans.” In addition to the peace of mind you’ll have knowing Feeding America West Michigan passes regular food safety inspections from the USDA, the national Feeding America office, and AIB International, food donors are legally protected from liability under longstanding Good Samaritan laws.