Enrolling in the TEFAP program is now required for all mobile agencies. Due to the lack of fresh produce, we will be supplementing with USDA product on our mobile distributions. Our agencies do not have the ability to select items on their distribution and therefore we are requiring the completion of the USDA agreement for all mobile host agencies. Click here for the mobile pantry agreement.
Overview The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) is a federal program that helps supplement the diets of low-income residents by providing them with emergency food and nutrition assistance at no cost. Through TEFAP, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) purchases USDA Foods and makes it available to qualifying agencies for distribution.
Agency requirements for TEFAP/USDA foods:
- Annually complete the USDA Agreement form. Click here for the mobile pantry agreement.
- Display “And Justice For All” poster – must be printed 11×17 or contact your agency representative if you need a new poster. For mobile food distributions, check with your driver.
- Annual Civil Rights Training
- Volunteer Civil Rights training.
- Staff and/or agency leadership – You may use the Michigan Department of Education online training or schedule a training with one of our staff.
- Meal Sites – Please record number of plates served per month through your online account.
- Food Pantries:
- Must post your hours on the exterior of your building.
- Current USDA Self Declaration Form must be signed to receive USDA food. If a person is unwilling to sign, non-USDA food may be provided.
- If you do not use our electronic sign-in, you must enter you statistics monthly through your agency’s online account. Enter 0 (zero) if you have a seasonal program (e.g. summer months for backpack programs).
- Post TEFAP Reason for Need and Liability Release – Edit to include your agency name.
- Faith based pantries – Must post the Notice of Food Beneficiary Rights
- FindFood card to help people find food when they need it.
- USDA Civil Right Complaint Form
- Provide language support, I Speak resource, download this handy language identification chart.
- Sample Outreach Plan
- Download the TEFAP State of Michigan Distribution Site Manual for specific requirements to distribute USDA product for this program.